[dev] freetype2/fc pain

From: AR Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2018 21:10:37 -0700

Hi there,

I have been revising dmenu/dwm/libsl in terms of simplicity due to a
migration to OpenBSD recently.

I can't get my head around on how much the elegance and clarity of
dwm/dmenu/libsl code has suffered from the introduction of freetype2
and fc usage.

Back in the days I also concluded that the introduction of Xinerama
and multihead support was a bad idea after all.

I'm really at a point to consider forking dwm and dmenu to simply rely
on X11 as it used to be, perhaps with going the extra mile to remove
Xinerama support as well and to rely on single headed setups.

What do you guys think about this idea?

I barely use multihead setups and I don't give a f*ck about
anti-aliasing. This whole freetype2 move seems utterly wrong. I didn't
see it as critical before, but now I more and more conclude it has to
go.

Best regards,
Anselm