Re: [dev] freetype2/fc pain

From: AR Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2018 23:19:46 -0700

On 23 September 2018 at 11:56, Eric Pruitt <eric.pruitt_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 09:14:11AM -0700, AR Garbe wrote:
>> I totally agree. I'd be in favour in a st just using plain X fonts.
>> This emoji unicode porn and anti-aliasing TTF support doesn't make
>> sense to me.
>
> It's not just about Emoji or anti-aliasing. If you work with languages
> that use non-Latin characters, support for fallback fonts is a must.

Well, are you using st with glyphs that require fallback fonts?
I wonder if at suckless we should aim for the general purpose.

I weigh code clarity and consistency higher than being able to render
all kinds of glyphs through fallback font declarations.
If a user needs to display cyrillic, there are plain old xfonts with
excellent support.

Best regards,
Anselm