Re: [dev] freetype2/fc pain

From: David Demelier <markand_AT_malikania.fr>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 14:45:58 +0200

Le 24/09/2018 à 08:19, AR Garbe a écrit :
> On 23 September 2018 at 11:56, Eric Pruitt <eric.pruitt_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 09:14:11AM -0700, AR Garbe wrote:
>>> I totally agree. I'd be in favour in a st just using plain X fonts.
>>> This emoji unicode porn and anti-aliasing TTF support doesn't make
>>> sense to me.
>>
>> It's not just about Emoji or anti-aliasing. If you work with languages
>> that use non-Latin characters, support for fallback fonts is a must.
>
> Well, are you using st with glyphs that require fallback fonts?
> I wonder if at suckless we should aim for the general purpose.

Hello,

Unfortunately, I remember having terminus not rendering some kind of
unicode characters not even emojis. I think it was some drawing characters.

Many tools like to use those characters (just even tree).

Is freetype/fontconfig the only way to implement fallback characters? I
remember when dwm switched to Xft a while back ago, I was surprised at
first but if that choice was made I think there were a lot of good
reasons isn't it?

Also, I'm not sure if many bitmap fonts render correctly on 4k screens.
I just love how Fira Mono renders on mine. But I should test some.

--
David