Re: [dev] GPL free Linux

From: Markus Wichmann <nullplan_AT_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 05:28:45 +0100

On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 03:01:02AM +0100, Alessandro Pistocchi wrote:
> Hi everyone,

Hi Alessandro,

> I am new to suckless.org. I have seen some of your projects and I
> think I share a vision with you guys to make things as simple as
> possible but not simpler.

That's why you have an iPhone?

> I am working on a project to remove gpl stuff from Linux userspace ( I
> am ok with GPL executables but not with GPL or LGPL libraries ) and I
> see that your projects tend towards more open licenses.

Why would you do something so pointless? First of all, licences only
matter if you plan on redistribution, so most here won't care. Second,
all the GPL demands is that you distribute the source, which any good
distribution should do, anyway, right?

The reason some here choose to replace GPL'ed code with alternatives is
less the licence and more the code quality. The utilities from GNU are
correct and all, but some here don't understand why it is necessary for
the true program to have command line options.

And for some reason, featuritis and GPL seem to be correlated. I won't
look for the causality here, though.

> Particularly, I want to replace udev with smdev.
>
> I was wondering if anybody would be interested in helping me.

What's to help? You download the source, install it, remove udev from
your init system and add smdev to it. Maybe add some configuration, but
the defaults seem to work pretty well.

> My aim is to create a Linux distribution that is simple to get started
> with but at the same time is a credible alternative to windows and
> macos as a desktop machine.

Well, that means all of nothing. Walking can be a credible alternative
to driving in some circumstances, but not if the distance is 400km. What
do you want out of a desktop machine?

Also, are you aware that creating and maintaining a Linux distribution
is a whole lot of work? The city of Munich recently discovered this, and
that's why they are switching back to Windows. That, and corruption of
course; this is public admin we're talking about.

> I want something like a modern version of a home computer like the
> Amiga was many years ago but with current features like GPU and all
> the goodies we have now.

And what does that all entail? From some perspective, Linux running a
terminal program is just a modern version of DOS; an opinion I don't
share, but that is bandied about regardless. But what is "a modern
Amiga" to you? I'm afraid I was born too late for that one.

> Best, Alessandro Pistocchi
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Ciao,
Markus