Re: [dev] Yet another "sane alternatives" thread

From: stephen Turner <stephen.n.turner_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2018 12:52:41 -0500

> On Dec 25, 2018, at 12:22 PM, Sean MacLennan <seanm_AT_seanm.ca> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 25 Dec 2018 08:16:47 -0600
> Cág <ca6c_AT_bitmessage.ch> wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking of something you can compile the Linux kernel[0] with.
>
> The Linux kernel only compiles with the GNU toolchain. There are
> efforts to get it compiling with clang but I believe they are not there
> yet.
>
> The Linux kernel is portability because the GNU toolchain is portable.

Bad terminology on my part when I said portable I mean small, light, runs off cdrom/usb/virtual machine and is always a clean environment (or aims to be).

I know Rob was using LFS build scripts to test his little project and it was mostly intended as a busybox replacement that I think they decided to push a bit further.

Now my curiosity is going, guess I will head over and see what’s up.