Re: [dev] Make cleanup

From: Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2018 13:00:30 +0100

On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 11:48:26 +0100
Daniel Cegiełka <daniel.cegielka_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Daniel,

> There is one problem: to build a Linux kernel, you need GNU make
> extensions. There are also many other programs that require GNU make
> extensions (eg musl libc). 100% POSIX[0] make means you will have to
> install GNU make anyway. So where is the added value here?
>
> I like an idea to rewrite the gnu make. I've been thinking about it
> for a long time...

as I elaborated, if you choose to implement GNU extensions you can
write it in such a way that the program prints a warning that such GNU
extensions are used. This way it is possible to notice derivations from
the standard, as all available tools currently "silently" support
non-portable extensions.

There are tools already to detect "bashisms" in shell-scripts, so maybe
another interesting approach would be to write a tool that detects
gmakeisms in Makefiles. However, given this would probably involve
parsing such files anyway, you could directly go ahead and implement a
sane make.

With best regards

Laslo

--