Re: [dev] [dmenu] running shell scripts in dmenu

From: Sean MacLennan <seanm_AT_seanm.ca>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2019 17:11:46 -0500

On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 15:12:41 -0600
Samuel Holland <samuel_AT_sholland.net> wrote:

> For a single-user laptop or workstation, why does there even need to
> be a concept of "logging in"? And why do you need 3-4 layers of
> shells running in the background to manage your X session? You've got:
> - your login shell
> - startx
> - xinit
> - your .xinitrc, if you don't exec your window manager

Nice! I really like your setup and I have a laptop in the basement I
intend to try this on.

The problem is that most of my main laptops are not single-user. My
main home laptop I share with my wife, and my work computer I "share"
with my official domain login.

The idea that I like the most is the udev rule so you don't have to
make Xorg +s. It should be doable with just a group, so I could add my
wife and I to a group that could run Xorg.

Cheers,
   Sean