Re: [dev] [dwm] Crash with emojis on title bar

From: Jakub Labath <jakub_AT_labath.ca>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 04:36:25 +0000

Hi

So I experienced this problems myself , this was roughly my journey.

I messed with fonts on my gentoo installing some from google some time
after X would start crashing when surfing web.
Eventually got lucky and found this website
https://github.com/dylanaraps/neofetch that reproduces the crash
reliably.
(Culprit is the https://www.compart.com/en/unicode/U+1F5BC)

Eventually traced the crash to

dwm: fatal error: request code=138, error code=16
X Error of failed request: BadLength (poly request too large or
internal Xlib length error)
  Major opcode of failed request: 138 (RENDER)
  Minor opcode of failed request: 20 (RenderAddGlyphs)
  Serial number of failed request: 1858
xinit: connection to X server lost

which brought me here.

I tried the patch from Igor but while it prevented the crash it left
my dwm unusable.
Wrote my own hack that removes non-ascii characters from the text
written on the title bar (or any dwm text) and I am happy since.

I am attaching my hack for reference but I do not think it's patch
worthy as it removes the ability to have any national characters.

Maybe I am an edge case but I was shocked to see dwm crashing given
that it was otherwise rock solid for a decade+.
I understand that the problem may lie with Xft and maybe that is what
needs to be fixed, but it still kind of makes dwm look bad.

I mean failure to render a glyph should never take down the Xorg - can
anyone think of a more intelligent way to defend against this?

My OS is gentoo - latest dwm and my Xorg and Xft are the latest in gentoo

x11-libs/libXft 2.3.2-r1
x11-base/xorg-server 1.20.3
media-fonts/noto 20170403 (google fonts)

Cheers

Jakub