Re: [dev] Coding style: why /* */ and not //?

From: Quentin Rameau <quinq_AT_fifth.space>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 20:43:23 +0100

Hello Martin,

> The coding style says:
>
> > Use /* */ for comments, not //
>
> Don't want to start a discussion about it, but I'm curious why // is
> disallowed? AFAIK all compilers accept // these days, and have for a
> long time?
>
> I've always preferred // since they can nest (you can comment out a
> function with //-style comments, but not with /* */-style comments), but
> maybe I'm missing a downside of //-style comments?

I guess you're talking about suckless coding style guide.
Coding style guide is for published code.

For your temporary testing code, you're free to comment lines with //
if you want to, this will bother nobody else.
We're talking about published code, so most of the arguments in favor
of using // (like nesting comments) don't apply.

Using /* */ is about commenting, not commenting out, and is more
visible.