Re: [dev] Let's talk about Go, baby

From: Anselm Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2019 11:45:39 -0800

On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 at 06:27, Siraaj Khandkar <siraaj_AT_khandkar.net> wrote:
> On Jan 25, 2019, at 20:18, Anselm Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> > C89 (or C99) clearly remains the preferred language for suckless
> > software. However, when forced into typical day job developments to
> > fund your well being, golang might actually be the sanest option on
> > the table -- in order to avoid worse options such as Rust, Java,
> > Kotlin, Scala, Ruby, C#, Swift etc.
>
> What are your concerns about Rust?

The language itself is certainly better than C++ or Java and avoided
many mistakes (like exceptions and going to far with OO). On the other
hand the typesystem isn't great and much more complex than golang's
approach. Also I dislike the distinction of raw pointers (unsafe) and
various types of references.

Besides this it's the hipster environment of Rust that is putting me
off. In contrast - even if golang suffers the same to some degree and
is heavily sponsored by Google, the main ideas that resulted into Go
are clearly footprints of Bell Labs. In Rust I do miss this influence
-- there seems more influence in Rust from the 'functional'
programming folks - which have also worsened Java dramatically since
the Java 6 days (lambdas, weird container/collection programming
paradigms etc.).

When looking at Rusts' experiemtal features such as future, intrinsics
etc. I have the feeling that adopting it might lead to a big regret in
the mid term, which is why I would stay away ;)

Best regards,
Anselm