Re: [dev] [dwm] new release - transition from Openbox

From: Szpak <szpak_AT_reakcja.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 19:20:22 +0100

Hi, thanks for advice.

> One of the big pluses is pinning an app to a workspace. When I boot, I
> get two xterm windows in workspace 1, a browser in workspace 2, and my
> email client in workspace 3.

That sounds interesting. At the moment I do the same at startup with
xdotool set_desktop n
and
xdotool * windowsize *
So that way I emulate tiling WM with floating one, but still have
possibility to move windows around.

> A change in the config.h I highly recommend is moving the MODKEY from
> Alt to the Windows key:
>
> #define MODKEY Mod4Mask /* windows key */
>
> This doesn't conflict with any apps I use, and it makes sense that the
> window manager uses the windows key

That's a reasonable choice. I actually do the same in my environment.
W-key is probably the only way to not interact with any app. Should be
default one in my opinion.

Anyway, I've received enough recommendations to give the DWM a try.

s/