Re: [dev] [dmenu] 4.9 segfault on input

From: Patrick Smith <pat42smith_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 15:57:46 -0800

On Sat, Feb 16, 2019 at 12:47 AM Ivan Tham <pickfire_AT_riseup.net> wrote:
> By the way, Patrick. Why use anthy instead of mozc for japanese input? I
> heard anthy is a dead project (from arch wiki).

I started using scim+anthy several years ago, and it has continued to
work for me, so I've continued to use it. I never noticed that the
last release of anthy was 10 years ago.

When I started to look at alternatives just now, I noticed this from
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fcitx#XIM :

Warning: Using XIM can sometimes cause problems including not being
able to input, no cursor following, word selection window issue,
application freeze on input method restart. For these XIM related
problems, Fcitx cannot provide any fix or support. This is the same
with any other input method framework, so please use the GTK+ and Qt
input method modules instead of xim whenever possible

I don't know whether that statement is accurate, but if it is, maybe
one should expect that using XOpenIM in dmenu and st will cause
problems. On the other hand, the desire to keep these programs small
and simple may recommend against using the GTK+ or Qt methods, so
there might not be a better option.