[dev] [dmenu] -w crashes on transparent windows

From: Maciej Sumalvico <macjan_AT_o2.pl>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2019 11:47:25 +0100

Hi,

I am unable to use the dmenu's -w flag for windows with enabled transparency.

How to reproduce:

Start a bash session in st and type in:

$ echo -e 'abc\ndef' | dmenu -w $WINDOWID

This works for vanilla st, but after applying the alpha patch, it crashes with
the following message:

X Error of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request: 62 (X_CopyArea)
  Serial number of failed request: 71

I am currently using dmenu 4.9 from the Arch package. I had this error with 4.8
too.

Same thing happens with tabbed after applying the alpha patch, regardless of
which application is running inside tabbed (e.g. also with surf) and whether
the windows are actually transparent.

Maybe dmenu would also need an 'alpha' patch for this case?

Greetings,
Maciej