Re: [dev] [dmenu] -w crashes on transparent windows

From: Eon S. Jeon <esjeon_AT_hyunmu.am>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2019 21:09:02 +0900

On 3/2/19 7:47 PM, Maciej Sumalvico wrote:
> Same thing happens with tabbed after applying the alpha patch, regardless of
> which application is running inside tabbed (e.g. also with surf) and whether
> the windows are actually transparent.
>
> Maybe dmenu would also need an 'alpha' patch for this case?

Hi Sumalvico,

It's sad, but you're basically right. You have to patch dmenu. Embedded
client must use an XVisual compatible w/ its parent. I think any
embeddable client should query visuals of its parent, rather than
blindly relying on XDefaultVisual.

I'm not sure how many people are interested in this, but few dozen LOC
will be enough to make st/dmenu/surf/etc freely embeddable to any
supporting applications, including ones using GTK/Qt, without trying to
do some fancy alpha drawing. But I don't think this is a much expected
feature right now, so the suckless-y decision will be just make a patch.

Yeah, but it's becoming a little tedious that st/dmenu/tabbed (and
probably surf) all should have their own `alpha` patch. You know,
transparency is *addictive*.