Re: [dev] suckless GUI

From: <sylvain.bertrand_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 01:44:22 +0000

Hi,

For a 2D toolkit with _global scope_, the only really hard part is proper
unicode text rendering.

Since there is no suckless grade of such rendering engine, then there is zero
chance to get a suckless _globally scoped_ toolkit.

The one and only open source component dealing with this issue is one of the
worst c++ pile of cr*p I have ever seen: libharfbuzz (I think the top is llvm
followed by the new libcpp from gcc). This component is maintained by a team of
full time employees at google/redhat.

That said, you have also the EFL/enlightenment toolkit (don't know if you still
can disable the use of libharfbuzz and go basic roman script support).

I did code a long time ago an alternative of libharfbuzz, C API, that hardcoded for
roman like scripts. Then I could use GTK+ without the stench of c++. They
probably did change their API, that enough to break my code.

--
Sylvain