Re: [dev] [st] Blinking clock in ncmpcpp

From: Antenore Gatta <antenore_AT_simbiosi.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2019 01:03:17 +0200

Hi Miekiv,

On 04.07.19 22:56, Miekiv wrote:

> Hi, recently I started using ncmpcpp on my arch linux machine as my
> music player and noticed that the clock is blinking. I checked on
> both vanilla st 0.8.2 and on the fork I use (

> https://gitlab.com/Matii/st ) and the blinking happens on both.

Well, it's probably because of a text property likeĀ  "very visible",
this one in particular is for the cursor, but I'm sure it's something
related/similar to that, "very visible" it's often translated to
blinking, underline or bold, that's why I think it's related.

Now, to find what is the exact ansi escape sequence that is sent, it's
not very easy, maybe you can check the ncmpcpp source code and see how
the clock is "rendered", or the hard way with an strace.

> However, this issue doesn't occur on other terminals (urxvt, xfce
> terminal, xterm), which leads me to believe that it's an issue with
> st. I asked about this issue on suckless' IRC server and a guy using
> void linux said that he has the same issue on his fork of st. I
> decided to set up a virtual machine and check there, but this time
> the problem didn't occur. On my main machine, I tried downgrading
> ncmpcpp and ncurses, changing xfps and actionfps in config.h to
> different values.

VM with which OS? What is your TERM environment variable on both?

Cheers,

Antenore