Re: [dev] Surf backend

From: Teodoro Santoni <asbrasbra_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 16:35:37 +0000

Hello,

> On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 05:20:19AM -0500, Jesse Limerick wrote:
>> In regard to "replace webkit with something sane" from the TODO.md
>> fileincluded within surf. I'm not sure if you all are aware of this:
>> https://github.com/SteveDeFacto/zsurf
>> Little abandoned project in the vein of surf, but using webengine
>> backend.
>>
>> I'm a huge fan of Suckless. Use dwm, dmenu, and st daily. Webkit is
>> all that stops me from using surf. I work in web development and sadly
>> most websites are optimised for use with webengine/blink. I know
>> virtually nothing about C and such. Yet I am easily able to configure
>> every suckless tool/utility. This is no doubt due to extensive
>> documentation and logical configuration. It's also nice having
>> my config baked into the source code, as a fork. Versus having to
>> keep track of config files. Nor do I have to worry about pacman
>> updating the software to be incompatible with my configurations.
>>
>> Anyway, thought I'd float this out to you guys. Might be a good
>> starting point for surf with a webengine backend.
>>
>> -Jesse Limerick
>>

> I think you're lost, mate. If you want some hints about why: webkit's
> tar.xz is 20M while qtwebengine is 244M, one is made in C and useable in
> C while the other is a C++ only abomination requiring Qt.
> Don't misunderstand, though, Webkit is also horrible.
>
> The only suckless browser I can imagine is Netsurf, basically.

At least surf has the frontend to the webkit c++ nightmare in C,
albeit in Gtk/C.
Someone complained about netsurf too in this list, can't recall where,
because the parser is a function babel tower IIRC, complicates the
flow by using function calls instead of gotos. Didn't recall if that
was true either.
If someone wishes to make a surf on top of libns for X11, like the
browser Michael Forney made for wayland on his distro [1]...

[1] https://github.com/michaelforney/netsurf/tree/oasis/frontends/tiny

BR