Re: [dev] [st][general] replace dmenu and other X tools by st

From: Tobias Bengfort <tobias.bengfort_AT_posteo.de>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2020 21:02:55 +0100

On 13/03/2020 13.55, Tait Hoyem wrote:
> Let's suppose there is a setup where windows are unable to be
> centered, would we want to exclude those people from using a
> dmenu-replacement?

There was nothing in my original post about centering. dmenu by default
is not centered either. If you want to have it centered, it should be
easy to patch that into st.

> On top of that, it stops me from using different colors and
> transparency for my dmenu than I use for my terminal.

I personally see this consistency as a benefit. But of course you can
have more than one st installed, or patch in options to change colors at
runtime.

The things you are listing as issues are exactly the kind of challenges
I see for a generic shell for TUIs. The question is whether it is worth
the effort to tackle these challenges in st or not.

tobias