Re: [dev] Ada not Rust

From: Jeremy <jer_AT_jer.cx>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 19:12:04 -0700

On 04/20/21 10:23AM, Greg Reagle wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2021, at 09:45, Jeremy wrote:
> I gave up on using dvtm a while ago (now I use tmux which is good) because it
> would keep crashing. And I could not figure out how to debug the crashes or get
> specific information about the cause of the crashes. If I had known about these
> options then I would have compiled dvtm with them and maybe gave better bug
> reports. (Though I know C, I am not an expert in C.)

I know what you're talking about & it's a pain in the ass. I believe
this is due to the ANSI parser implementation(vt.c) that DVTM uses.

I wrote a library, libst(a fork of st), and modified st, dvtm to link against it:
https://github.com/jeremybobbin/libst

Try compiling & installing libst, then compile & run dvtm in libst/examples.

As much as I love dvtm, I believe it's a captive user interface, and
lacks the extensibility that a terminal multiplexer could/should provide.

Attempting to address this, I wrote, what I believe to be, a suckless
approach to terminal multiplexing - svtm:
https://github.com/jeremybobbin/svtm

svtm is a composition of primarily 4 programs:
        - abduco - {at,de}tach
        - svt - TTY state/dumping/scrolling
        - bmac - byte-for-byte macros
        - itty - lets you run TTY input through a filter(such as bmac)

I'd like to add a "paner" program to that list, but for now, the above
is all you need to express any terminal-oriented workflow in a UNIX
environment.

I'm curious as to what y'all think.

Jeremy