Re: [dev] Ada not Rust

From: Ross Mohn <rpmohn_AT_waxandwane.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 10:10:20 -0400

On 4/23/21 10:12 PM, Jeremy wrote:
> On 04/20/21 10:23AM, Greg Reagle wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 20, 2021, at 09:45, Jeremy wrote:
>> I gave up on using dvtm a while ago (now I use tmux which is good) because it
>> would keep crashing. And I could not figure out how to debug the crashes or get
>> specific information about the cause of the crashes. If I had known about these
>> options then I would have compiled dvtm with them and maybe gave better bug
>> reports. (Though I know C, I am not an expert in C.)
> I know what you're talking about & it's a pain in the ass. I believe
> this is due to the ANSI parser implementation(vt.c) that DVTM uses.
>
> I wrote a library, libst(a fork of st), and modified st, dvtm to link against it:
> https://github.com/jeremybobbin/libst
>
> Try compiling & installing libst, then compile & run dvtm in libst/examples.
>
> As much as I love dvtm, I believe it's a captive user interface, and
> lacks the extensibility that a terminal multiplexer could/should provide.
>
> Attempting to address this, I wrote, what I believe to be, a suckless
> approach to terminal multiplexing - svtm:
> https://github.com/jeremybobbin/svtm
>
> svtm is a composition of primarily 4 programs:
> - abduco - {at,de}tach
> - svt - TTY state/dumping/scrolling
> - bmac - byte-for-byte macros
> - itty - lets you run TTY input through a filter(such as bmac)
>
> I'd like to add a "paner" program to that list, but for now, the above
> is all you need to express any terminal-oriented workflow in a UNIX
> environment.
>
> I'm curious as to what y'all think.
>
> Jeremy

I and my entire team have been actively and successfully using dvtm for
years. I haven't had it crash in a long while now, and I regularly keep
sessions alive for months. However, I am very interested in using
something as you describe above, with a library version of st that is
kept up-to-date. I didn't get your svtm to work out-of-the-box, but I
will continue to debug it myself. I got all the programs to compile
fine, but did go into each Makefile and, where necessary, added the '?'
character to this line "PREFIX ?= /usr/local".

-Ross