Re: [dev] Ada not Rust

From: Ross Mohn <rpmohn_AT_waxandwane.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 15:43:09 -0400

On 4/26/21 2:39 PM, Mattias Andrée wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 10:10:20 -0400
> Ross Mohn <rpmohn_AT_waxandwane.org> wrote:

>>> I know what you're talking about & it's a pain in the ass. I believe
>>> this is due to the ANSI parser implementation(vt.c) that DVTM uses.
>>>
>>> I wrote a library, libst(a fork of st), and modified st, dvtm to link against it:
>>> https://github.com/jeremybobbin/libst
>>>
>>> Try compiling & installing libst, then compile & run dvtm in libst/examples.
>>>
>>> As much as I love dvtm, I believe it's a captive user interface, and
>>> lacks the extensibility that a terminal multiplexer could/should provide.
>>>
>>> Attempting to address this, I wrote, what I believe to be, a suckless
>>> approach to terminal multiplexing - svtm:
>>> https://github.com/jeremybobbin/svtm
>>>
>>> svtm is a composition of primarily 4 programs:
>>> - abduco - {at,de}tach
>>> - svt - TTY state/dumping/scrolling
>>> - bmac - byte-for-byte macros
>>> - itty - lets you run TTY input through a filter(such as bmac)
>>>
>>> I'd like to add a "paner" program to that list, but for now, the above
>>> is all you need to express any terminal-oriented workflow in a UNIX
>>> environment.
>>>
>>> I'm curious as to what y'all think.
>>>
>>> Jeremy
>>>
>> I and my entire team have been actively and successfully using dvtm for
>> years. I haven't had it crash in a long while now, and I regularly keep
>> sessions alive for months. However, I am very interested in using
>> something as you describe above, with a library version of st that is
>> kept up-to-date. I didn't get your svtm to work out-of-the-box, but I
>> will continue to debug it myself. I got all the programs to compile
>> fine, but did go into each Makefile and, where necessary, added the '?'
>> character to this line "PREFIX ?= /usr/local".
> Why do you need `?=`. The only difference between `=` and `?=`?
>
> Apart from `=` beginning the only assignment operator defined by POSIX,
> is that `?=` has no effect if the variable is already defined wheras
> `=` does not have any effect if the variable is set in the command line.
>
>> -Ross

I have PREFIX defined in my environment and make use if it in scripts as
well as in Makefiles, so I don't generally have to pass it in on the
commandline. I could certainly run it as `PREFIX=$PREFIX make`. I have
to use my own PREFIX on the several shared servers I use where I compile
and install my own apps local to just me. It's fine to make a decision
to not use `?=` because of POSIX or whatever.