Re: [dev] [st] Crash when displaying these characters

From: Страхиња Радић <contact_AT_strahinja.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 20:49:27 +0200

On 21/08/20 07:27, Mateusz Okulus wrote:
> I haven't experienced any crashes after installing xft-bgra. For regular
> use this seems to be enough. Even then both dwm and st use libxft, and
> I'm fairly certain that there are no patches to replace it. There isn't
> a better alternative afaik.

I was too under the impression that libXft works all the time, but then had an
unpleasant surprise when it did crash.

I have debugged the issue for a while, and my conclusion is that it is
inconsistent. This means that while the emoji can work in libXft without
crashing for some time (with the libxft-bgra patch applied), occasionally there
will be a crash. I haven't been able to create a reliable reproducible
environment for this crash.

This inconsistent behavior has led me to believe that maybe some piece of code
within the library relies on reading values outside of the allocated memory
space.