[dev] Wayland compositors

From: Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 14:28:29 +0100

Hi all,

I'm thinking it would be fun to play around with Wayland, so was
looking at different compositors (which do window management plus
other stuff). Has anyone else on the list taken Wayland for a spin
and had any experience with them?

From a search around the 3 that look interesting to me, a dwm user
for many years, are:
- velox - written by Michael Forney, described as "inspired by dwm
  and xmonad"
- sway - i3 for Wayland, undoubtedly mature, undoubtedly more
  features than I'd prefer
- dwl - "dwm for Wayland", looks nicely dwm-ish, though no built-in
  status bar so I guess I'd have to find some external software to
  provide that.

Any thoughts, experiences, recommendations?

Nick