Re: [dev] Special target ".POSIX" in Makefiles

From: Mattias Andrée <maandree_AT_kth.se>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 13:22:48 +0100

On Sat, 1 Jan 2022 13:01:05 +0100
Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de> wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Jan 2022 10:33:22 +0100
> Mattias Andrée <maandree_AT_kth.se> wrote:
>
> Dear Mattias,
>
> first off, happy new year to all of you!
>
> > Thanks for pointing that it, I didn't find it in my search.
> > I renamed it to mklint.
>
> This is also confusing as mk(1) by plan9 exists, but you explicitly
> target POSIX make(1).

Your right, that wasn't really a good idea.

> makelint is a really great name and it clearly shows what it does, the
> linked project seems to be dead after the initial commit and nobody
> talks about it.
>
> Here are some suggestions for a different name:
>
> - makel ("Makel" means "flaw" in Germany, and it fits so well
> because you want to find flaws in Makefiles)
> - makeorbreak (english idiom, meaning a situation that either brings
> success or complete failure, might be a nod towards
> the fact that you either are POSIX compliant or not)
> - shakenmake (like Shake'n'Bake)
>
> I really like "makel" to be honest, which also fits your theme of
> naming some of your projects after German nouns (e.g. libzahl).

libzahl is my only project with a German name, and it's was called
libzahl because the bold Z used represent the integers stands for Zahl,
but I do have projects with names in different languages (I also have
libskrift (Swedish), libruun (librún; Old Norse, Icelandic, and Faroese;
this one is not published yet), radharc (Irish and Gaelic), and libcantara
(Spanish, Protuguese, Galician, and Asturian; this one hasn't been
published yet, and the rate it is being developed at it I'm doubtful it
ever will be))), so giving it a non-English name wouldn't be out of
character.

But I also like makel, but I will give it some more though before I
rename it a second time.