Re: [dev] Special target ".POSIX" in Makefiles

From: Ralph Eastwood <tcmreastwood_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 14:08:24 +0100

Hi Mattias,

Happy New Year!

> But I also like makel, but I will give it some more though before I
rename it a second time.

So... makellint? :D
I like it; it seems 'makel' is unused as a project name.

Are there any suggestions for handling out-of-source builds using
POSIX makefiles? I recently had a project where we needed to
support multiple platforms and so output-ing object files and binaries
into platform-specific directories was needed.
I know that GNU's pattern matching rules support this behaviour, i.e.:

$(OBJDIR)/%.o: $(SRCDIR)/%.c
    $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -c $< -o $_AT_

Perhaps just listing all of the object files and source +
dependencies would be the easiest way in this instance?

Best regards,
Ralph

--
Tai Chi Minh Ralph Eastwood