Re: [dev] Is there a text editor following the UNIX philosophy?

From: Kyryl Melekhin <k.melekhin_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 08:43:33 +0000

craekz <craekz7_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 11:47:56AM +0000, Daniel Littlewood wrote:
> > It seems to me like the obvious alternative workflow would be, rather
> > than to have a single monolithic program for the general job of
> > "editing text" (which is really lots of jobs pretending to be one),
> > one might have a program for syntax highlighting, a program for
> > completion, a facility for dispatching text to shell commands, and so
> > on. On the more extreme end one could even imagine separating the jobs
> > of navigating through a buffer (i.e. a pager) from the editing of
> > text. Obviously that's not a complete idea by itself, or I wouldn't be
> > asking for suggestions.
> >
> Acme is pretty close to what you describe.
>
> Some resources can be found here:
> https://acme.cat-v.org/

Acme is not minimal. 17K lines of C and legacy crap.

Have a look at my own texteditor, you would very much be impressed with the
amount of features you get in around 6.6K lines of C.

https://github.com/kyx0r/nextvi

Recently development has been finished, which means no more bloat will be
added. Optional patches available too.

And if that's too much for your heart, have a look at original neatvi, that
would upset you only to read 5.5K lines of C. Though I would not reccomend it,
as the code is written in a worse fashion, therefore it runs much slower.
Also you may hit lots of pitfalls trying to customize or add features if you
start from there.

Based on my research, Nextvi may very well be the best suckless text editor.
Don't believe me? Try comparing the number of lines of code of others to the
quality of life of features they present.

At this point I've seen a lot and went down deep the rabbit hole to make
something of quality. Almost every solution either requires you to bear
extra bloat, sacrificing the freedom to understand the entire code.

And even if this is not enough for you, you at least can learn a proper way
of how to write a texteditor from that code.

Kind Regards,
Kyryl.