Re: [dev] Automatic C header dependency tracking for the redo build-system

From: Georg Lehner <jorge_AT_at.anteris.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2022 15:13:13 +0200

Hi,

The topic of header dependency tracking is already addressed since the
inception of redo by DJB.

The Appenwarr documentation offers a fairly simple answer in the form of
an "implicit" .do file for object files.

---
cat > default.o.do <<EOF
redo-ifchange $2.c
gcc -MD -MF $2.d -c -o $3 $2.c
read DEPS <$2.d
redo-ifchange ${DEPS#*:}
---
1. check the dependency on the source file $2.c.
2. build the  object file and generate a make-style one-line include
dependency on all header files with the compiler itself.
3. read the rule into the variable DEPS.
4. check the dependency on all header files.
The second line and the fourth line are one of the special things about
redo: *after* building the target you can check *again* if it needs to
be rebuilt.
Best Regards,
   Georg