Re: [dev] Disk encryption

From: T Taylor Gurney <ttgurney_AT_ttgurney.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 19:59:34 -0500

On Wed, Jun 15, 2022, at 2:47 PM, Markus Wichmann wrote:

> libgcrypt can be used instead of OpenSSL. I don't know if that
> helps any.

Thanks for your reply. This does help, actually; while I'm making an effort to avoid OpenSSL (and even LibreSSL), I can't imagine I'll be able to avoid GnuPG since I know of no replacement for the important functionality it provides.

> If you are willing to forego LUKS, you can roll your own dm-crypt
> solution

I think I had dismissed that offhand to begin with due to the downsides you mentioned, but sounds like it may be worth a closer look at least. I have never tried plain dm-crypt without LUKS.

> Why would you need to patch util-linux for loop-AES? And would it work
> with dm-crypt?

Are you familiar with loop-AES? ( http://loop-aes.sourceforge.net/loop-AES.README ) My understanding is that the project provides a replacement "loop.ko" kernel module that gives loop devices support for block-level encryption. But then userspace still does not know how to set up encrypted loop devices, set encryption-related mount options, etc., so they also offer patches for the losetup and mount programs to make this functionality available.

In any case I don't think it interacts with dm-crypt at all.

To me it sounds much nicer than the complexity of dm-crypt+LUKS. It pre-dates them as well. I wonder why it has been kept out of the kernel tree all this time. It's an old project but I'm not familiar with the history.

Taylor