Re: [dev] Replace ranlib(1) calls?

From: Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 00:59:23 +0200

On Sat, 23 Jul 2022 23:06:49 +0000
Tom Schwindl <schwindl_AT_posteo.de> wrote:

Dear Tom,

> If a system says it's POSIX compliant, we can assume that the `-s'
> option exists, but there is no standard which tells us whether
> ranlib(1) is available or not.

while I agree with your point in general, keep in mind that the s-flag
is, after all, a POSIX XSI-extension (X/Open System Interfaces). This
is still better than ranlib(1), though, which has a very murky
"foothold" in regard to standardization.

Granted, it's one thing what a standard defines and another what is
actually used in everyday life, but calling a standard-defined option
as _less_ portable than an undefined historical artifact is a stretch.

With best regards

Laslo