Re: [dev] Replace ranlib(1) calls?

From: Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 15:04:09 +0200

On Mon, 1 Aug 2022 11:21:19 +0200
"Roberto E. Vargas Caballero" <k0ga_AT_shike2.com> wrote:

Dear Roberto,

> -std=c99 is not part of any standard and our Makefiles are full of
> them. as(1), ld(1), and cc(1) are not part of POSIX and we keep using
> them. Again, Please stop doing this kind of patches and center in
> changes that actually improve code. If we find a system where using
> ranlib is a problem then we can revisit this.

you bring up good points, however, the difference I see here is that
POSIX explicitly specifies an alternative. If POSIX specified a
standard calling-convention for the C-compiler or linker, I'd use it
over the non-standardized forms.

And I even agree with you: Consider pax(1) for instance, and the fact
that POSIX doesn't even specify tar(1) anymore and pax(1) is rarely
found on systems.

I'll think about this more and make a decision before the next release.

With best regards

Laslo