Re: [dev][surf] surf has become super-slow!

From: Andy Gozas <andy_AT_gozas.me>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 10:45:22 +0000

On 2022-10-12 05:00 PM, Robert Winkler wrote:
> Hi, I just re-compiled surf on a recent manjaro arch linux;
> However, text input has become too slow for productive use.
> Is the problem known? Any idea on how to solve it?

Hi, you should check your webkit2gtk version if it was installed using
the package manager (for archlinux: pacman -Qi webkit2gtk).
On webkit2gtk versions above 2.36.6 there is a bug which causes all
kinds of problems in surf
(http://lists.suckless.org/dev/2210/34979.html).
If you are on the affected versions, you should try and either remove
the webkit library as described in the thread above, or downgrade to a
previous version of webkit2gtk, which you can find here (for archlinux):
https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/w/webkit2gtk/ and see if your
problem would go away.

---
Andy Gozas.