Re: [dev] Minimalist software. Should I care?

From: Страхиња Радић <contact_AT_strahinja.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 13:04:39 +0200

On 23/07/04 07:06PM, Nikita Krasnov wrote:
> If I had used one of the bloated programs I probably could have found a
> solution in one of the menus after reading few Stack Overflow answers. But
> with Neovim I'd have to first find the program that would be suitable for
> what I try to achieve, then I'd have to read many lines or pages of
> documentation, after that I'd have to implement that thing and only then I'd
> be able to use the thing.

Neovim is bloat. But for both Neovim and vi/Vi IMproved, just go through the
tutorial and learn basic keys and ideas behind using it. (BTW, addons are
unnecessary, Vim is a fully functional text editor, and then some.) If that's
too hard for you, then that's your reason, the "why (not)?". Just carry on
using whatever else without regrets. But if you want to be a "cool kid", you
should know that that's bought with self-determination and a strength of will
to read, tinker and explore.

BTW, the rationale and core ideas behind the suckless movement are explained on
the website, go read it:

        https://suckless.org/philosophy/