Re: [dev] Minimalist software. Should I care?

From: Marcel Plch <dormouse_AT_plch.xyz>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 12:00:24 +0200

On Wed, Jul 05, 2023 at 09:59:27AM -0500, Dave Blanchard wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jul 2023 11:56:58 +0300
> Sergey Matveev <stargrave+suckless_AT_stargrave.org> wrote:
>
> > >I did manage to open you article, although I had to use a VPN. For some
> > >reason website doesn't load without it. Greetings from Russia!
> >
> > It is available only through IPv6. I use https://ipv6.ip4market.ru/
> > tunnel broker here to reach that non-legacy modern Internet world.
>
> LOL! And here we have yet another example of the absolute nuttery of this community.
>
> "Non-legacy modern internet world." Last I checked, the "modern" internet still runs on IPV4, not IPV6! It's only a few eggheads wearing pocket protectors who--in their frequent hitting of the crack pipe-- insist that IPV6 is any kind of widespread, ubiquitous standard and the "few people" still using IPV4 are somehow antiquated and backwards.
>
> You really think I want every single atom in my house to be individually addressible and reachable by the outside world? IPV4 is one of the few reasons why my local computing resources can still have ANY privacy!
>
> What if I told you the entire internet in general is garbage and all of you are fools for thinking it's anything special?
>
> KILL THE NET.

Dude, we ran out of IPv4 addresses, there is no way to maintain IPv4
internet any further and it was late to switch years ago.

Besides, nobody forces you to allow traffic from outside to your local
computing resources even on IPv6.

I admit I'm not sure if all my services at plch.xyz are IPv6, but there
should be more push for that standard in general.
--
# Marcel Plch
/\                        - against proprietary attachments