Re: [dev] Announcing a couple small X11 utilities

From: lumidify <nobody_AT_lumidify.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 12:38:12 +0200

On Thu, Aug 17, 2023 at 10:19:01AM +0200, Max Schillinger wrote:
> I don't do much image processing but when I do, it's most often cropping
> images. Of course, GIMP can do this. But it's huge. I usually use nomacs
> instead. But now the nomacs package for Arch Linux is broken because of
> dependencies. Now I use gThumb as a replacement but it's also big.
>
> When I heard about sx4, I was wondering if it's somehow possible to
> connect sxiv, sx4 and ImageMagick. I could open an image with sxiv (or
> feh or something simple) without any zoom, then I could select a region
> with sx4 and pass it to ImageMagick. For this I would have to correct
> the coordinates by the offset of the canvas relative to the screen. This
> seems to be the missing link.
>
> Any ideas how to achieve this?

I don't have an answer to your question, but if all you need is
cropping, I have a shameless plug for a moderately simple tool
I wrote a while ago: https://lumidify.org/git/croptool/log.html

It's mainly written for cropping many similar images quickly, but
I also use it for cropping single images. The actual command for
cropping the image is output to stdout (see the manpage).

--
lumidify