Re: [dev] Announcing a couple small X11 utilities

From: Max Schillinger <maxschillinger_AT_web.de>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 10:19:01 +0200

On Tue Jul 4, 2023 at 3:51 PM CEST, NRK wrote:
> sx4
> ===
>
> This one is a selection tool. It outputs the selection rectangle to
> stdout which can then be used for other purposes, such as screenshoting
> or screen-recording a specific area.

All these tools are great! Thanks for sharing.

I don't do much image processing but when I do, it's most often cropping
images. Of course, GIMP can do this. But it's huge. I usually use nomacs
instead. But now the nomacs package for Arch Linux is broken because of
dependencies. Now I use gThumb as a replacement but it's also big.

When I heard about sx4, I was wondering if it's somehow possible to
connect sxiv, sx4 and ImageMagick. I could open an image with sxiv (or
feh or something simple) without any zoom, then I could select a region
with sx4 and pass it to ImageMagick. For this I would have to correct
the coordinates by the offset of the canvas relative to the screen. This
seems to be the missing link.

Any ideas how to achieve this?

Regards,
Max