Re: [dev] getting rid of cmake builds

From: David Demelier <markand_AT_malikania.fr>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 16:05:17 +0200

On Thu, 2023-09-21 at 09:42 -0400, LM wrote:
> I build a lot of common libraries and programs from source.  Many of
> them are switching to cmake.  I'm not a fan of cmake.  For one thing,
> it's so complicated to build from source code that I can't bootstrap
> the build of cmake itself.  I really would prefer to build as many of
> my tools from source as possible and that includes the build system.
> I've been attempting to create makefiles by hand for some of these
> programs and libraries that now use cmake.  Does anyone have an easy
> or automated way to convert a cmake build to makefiles or another
> less
> complicated build system?  Is anyone else trying to simplify their
> build scripts for commonly used libraries or programs?  Is there a
> way
> to automate the processes or share effort on this?  Thank you.

Hi,

It's near to impossible to convert a CMake project to make
automatically, CMake is almost like a scripting language given the
numerous of things you can do with it.

Keep in mind that plain make (POSIX) is enough for really simple
projects but can come limited when going portable. Although the use of
pkg-config helps there are various places where you will need to pass
additional compiler/linker flags. For those I like GNU make even though
its syntax is somewhat strange at some points.

Which projects are you referring to?

--
David