[dev] getting rid of cmake builds

From: LM <lmemsm_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 09:42:33 -0400

I build a lot of common libraries and programs from source. Many of
them are switching to cmake. I'm not a fan of cmake. For one thing,
it's so complicated to build from source code that I can't bootstrap
the build of cmake itself. I really would prefer to build as many of
my tools from source as possible and that includes the build system.
I've been attempting to create makefiles by hand for some of these
programs and libraries that now use cmake. Does anyone have an easy
or automated way to convert a cmake build to makefiles or another less
complicated build system? Is anyone else trying to simplify their
build scripts for commonly used libraries or programs? Is there a way
to automate the processes or share effort on this? Thank you.