Re: [dev] getting rid of cmake builds

From: Страхиња Радић <contact_AT_strahinja.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 06:47:04 +0200

On 23/09/21 09:42AM, LM wrote:
> I build a lot of common libraries and programs from source. Many of
> them are switching to cmake. I'm not a fan of cmake. For one thing,
> it's so complicated to build from source code that I can't bootstrap
> the build of cmake itself. I really would prefer to build as many of

I agree. Anyone who tries to build a LFS system (or a derivation of it) will
inevitably come across the beast that is cmake. When creating build scripts for
"roll my own" static musl distro, Galeb[1], I came to several conclusions:

* cmake is a bloated mess (understatement), takes ages to build
* It being written in C++ is part of the reason for the above
* cmake can't properly figure out static library dependencies, in some
  cases they still need to be configured manually

When it comes to the choice of a build system, I know of a number of options
which are way better than cmake (in no particular order):

- djb redo
- POSIX make
- Plan9 mk

On topic, I'm afraid I haven't come across any automated converters, and as
others have stated, it probably isn't even possible. I think it would be easier
to write build scripts for packages using cmake in a simpler build system from
scratch.

[1]: https://strahinja.srht.site/galeb/