Re: [dev] Use of sdhcp

From: Josuah Demangeon <me_AT_josuah.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 16:25:25 +0200

Hello Sagar Acharya,

Let me know if I misunderstood, but I believe you are mixing two things:

If you have a cat6 ethernet cable, then you likely already have a network card.
You do not need DHCP to get two computers communicate, you can use static addressing, which is easier to use than DHCP.

# on host 1, as user "root", assuming your network interface is "eth0"
ip link set eth0 up # turn it on
ip addr add eth0 192.168.34.1/24 dev eth0 # put an address on it
ip addr show # review the configuration

# on host 2, as user "root", assuming your network interface is "eth0"
ip link set eth0 up # turn it on
ip addr add eth0 192.168.34.2/24 dev eth0 # put an address on it
ip addr show # review the configuration

I used 34 as subnetwork, but you can use anything else.
If you have just a few computers, you can manage the addresses like above.
a bit more manual work, but much less effort to debug.

But you can also use sdhcp (as an example) so that you have fewer
operations to do manually.

You would need a DHCP server on one host (acting as a router),
and a DHCP client (such as sdhcp) on the other host.

Sagar Acharya <sagaracharya_AT_tutanota.com> wrote:
> How to use sdhcp? Can it be used to create an internal network where a cat6 cable is connected via /dev/ttyS1 to another PC.
> Is it possible to run a daemon which provides network in system 1 to the one connected across /dev/ttyS1?

If you want to use networking out of a serial console, such as /dev/ttyS1,
you would need something like pppd (point-to-point daemon)
https://linux.die.net/man/8/pppd

Which would provide something acting like Ethernet,
but out of a serial cable instead of a cat6 cable.

Best luck with your experiments!