Re: [dev] A secure wireless protocol

From: Hiltjo Posthuma <hiltjo_AT_codemadness.org>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 13:28:16 +0200

On Sat, Oct 14, 2023 at 01:17:04PM +0200, Sagar Acharya wrote:
> Dear devs,
>
> Currently, all phones use WiFi, GSM, Bluetooth networks in practically all applications. For WiFi and Bluetooth replacements, do you have any alternate network in mind which caters to only local public and private keys.
>
> So, a network which before transmitting a packet, encrypts it with the recipients' public key and broadcasts it with recipients id as header, say like,
>
> <mac_address><encrypted_packet>
>
> A list of MAC addresses would be maintained on WiFi server end for each device. Are there already such network softwares made out there?
>
> The aim is no dhcp and not a single device outside list can communicate.
> Thanking you
> Sagar Acharya
> https://humaaraartha.in/selfdost/selfdost.html

There are different levels of networking layers implementing secure tunnels in
different layers (IPSec, TLS, HTTPS, Wireguard, Encrypted XMLs over HTTPS). You
could even use public/private encrypted messages on sticky notes or by
carrier-pigeon.

Maybe I'm getting too old and conservative, but I'd use the standards (RFC)
that are there. Bluetooth kinda sucks though.

--
Kind regards,
Hiltjo