Re: [dev] [st] XTSMGRAPHICS query

From: Tim Culverhouse <tim_AT_timculverhouse.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 07:33:56 -0500

On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 00:29:00 CST, Markus Wichmann wrote:
> Had to research what this is supposed to do: XTerm replies to it with
> the screen size. Except the docs explicitly warn you that it is not
> necessarily the screen size.

More accurately, it responds with the screen geometry available for sixel
graphics. Generally, terminals which don't support sixels will not respond to
this query. I think technically terminals could respond with a 0,0 size
available for sixels to suggest they aren't supported. However, I have not found
any terminal which responds that doesn't support sixels. So for my use case the
actual response doesn't matter, just the fact that something was returned. I
wouldn't expect st to respond since it does not support sixel graphics.

Terminals can also advertise support through the primary device attribute query
as well, but not all do.

> I wonder why a TUI application needs to know the screen size in pixels.

This is useful for graphic sizing.

--
Tim