Re: [dev] [sbase] Defining scope of sbase and ubase

From: Eolien55 <eolien55_AT_disroot.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 23:33:12 +0100

Страхиња Радић <contact_AT_strahinja.org> wrote:
> The problem of having separate *box executables could be solved by creating an
> "umbrella" *box project, perhaps having sbase, ubase and [insert_letter]base as
> git submodules, and deciding what to build based on the contents of config.mk.

The problem is that sbase and ubase each include a version of libutil, whith some
functions which are the same, and some other wich serve the same function but
vary in implementation due to version history.

git submodules are kinda meh I think for this problem, because it wouldn't change
the problem of source code duplication (and of versions drifting apart) between
the 2 projects, as libutil is part of both sbase and ubase trees (not mereley the
umbrella-box project).

I believe we should put what are currently sbase and ubsase in a single git repository,
sharing all that is portably sharable, but still separating utilities that are portable
from linux-specific ones.

I think sbase and ubase should try to provide useful, well-implemented, suckless
utilities. If we want POSIX utilities, let's add them! But I don't think we should
restrain us from doing that. sbase's sponge and cols is so useful I'm constantly
using them, even though I normally use busybox.

Regards,
Elie Le Vaillant