Re: [dev] alternatives to C: Ada, Rust, Pascal

From: Storkman <storkman_AT_storkman.nl>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2024 00:11:30 +0200

On Fri, Jun 21, 2024 at 06:48:53PM +0200, Страхиња Радић wrote:
> Дана 24/06/21 10:45AM, Greg Reagle написа:
> > Rust also has some good safety and ease-of-use features. It is very
> > big and complex with a lot of features (compared to C).

> https://lists.suckless.org/dev/2104/34265.html
>

> * * *
>
> Rust sucks. It was made by Big Tech (Mozilla) and aggressively
> advertised as a replacement for C. There are numerous "replacements"
> for Unix tools rewritten in Rust, all following the same "mainstream
> dev" pattern.

Rust appears to be the number one largest programming language package
in Gentoo, with a 314MB download (155MB for the binary version).
GHC is probably second place, at 147MB, unless you count LLVM and Clang
together, which would be 250MB.
I'm sure it's this big for a very good reason, but when compiling a compiler
takes all day, and then it crashes because it ran out of RAM or hard disk
space or whatever, it just makes me a bit sad.

> C needs no replacement. C is a mature, standardized language (unlike
> Rust), tightly intertwined with Unix and Unix-like systems as described
> by POSIX.

It would be nice, though. I'm generally in favor of having more good things.

> Pascal is a language tailored for introductory level programming. It
> was used in high school and freshman university courses here in the
> late 90s and early 2000s. I don't know of any examples of serious
> software written in Pascal.

The original Pascal as conceived by Niklaus Wirth in 1970 is worth
checking out, if you're interested in computing history. Maybe.
Most "serious" Pascal software is probably actually written in Delphi,
an object-oriented GUI-equipped dialect created by Borland.
Check out FreePascal if the idea of writing C++ with one hand tied behind
your back sounds appealing to you.

> Ada was already mentioned in your previous thread that I linked above,
> as an alternative to Rust if one cares about "safe" languages. It was a
> heavily extended version of Pascal made for the use of USAF.

Ada is theoretically interesting, but I think enjoying using it requires
a very specific type of personality. Check it out if you get a thrill from
filing out tax forms.

--
Storkman