[dev] Fwd: Getting sent/ to display images

From: <kjell.samuelsson_AT_qualitell.se>
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2024 19:09:29 +0200

-------- Ursprungligt meddelande --------

                  ÄMNE:
                  Getting sent/ to display images

                  DATUM:
                  2024-08-29 23:39

                  FRÅN:
                  kjell.samuelsson_AT_qualitell.se

                  MOTTAGARE:
                  Dev <dev_AT_suckless.org>

 From https://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=136676 came the
following information:

"600x does support 24 bit color on the built in lcd.
Screen mode 118x is 1024x768 24 bit.
What screen mode is actually set, is up to the operating system and the
program running."

 From
https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/suckless-sent-fails-to-display-images/#post-152967
came the following advice:

"Do you have any display related file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d as
wildstar84 mentioned? If not, you will have to create one with the
correct information. In this reddit topic the explain how to create a
file named "99screen.conf". It could look something like:

Section "Screen"
     Identifier "Default Screen"
     Monitor "Configured Monitor"
     Device "Configured Video Device"
     DefaultDepth 24
     SubSection "Display"
         Modes "1024x768" "800x600"
     EndSubSection
EndSection

The reddit topic can be found at
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux4noobs/comments/3n2800/how_to_change_color_depth_to_16_bit/

I created a file with exactly the same name and content in the
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory, but when I tried to reboot, the booot
ended up with terminal style login prompt. Once logged in, it was
possible to start X manually.

Apparently the file should not look quite like this. What should be
different? Does it need another name? Should it be in another location?

Grateful for any help.

**********

According to the latest information that I received, physical
limitations of the LCD used makes it imposible to set Color Depth to 24,
eventhough the operating system appears to support it. I would still
like to run sent on the old machine if possible which raises a number of
questions.

What is the reason why Color Depths < 24 is not supported?

Is there some patch/fix/hack available today to get around the problem?

Would someone be willing to create suck a patch/fix/hack?

Would it be possible for me to create it myself? It's been more than 30
years since I last wrote anyting in C, but I would be prepared to
refresh and add on to my C skills.