Re: [dwm] sticky layout and master size patch

From: <philipp.neubeck_AT_web.de>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:07:13 +0000

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 23:40:10 +0200
"Julian Romero" <julian.romero+dwm_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a first implementation (ugly but working) of the columns/rows
> layout with master resizing shortcuts where everything is tag *sticky*
> (for every tag the layout --columns vs. rows -- and the master size
> are remembered) If more than one tag is selected the first one (by
> index) is choosen to get the sticky values.
>
> If anyone is interested:
>
> hg clone http://hg.mad.mw/dwm-jr
>
> For me this is quite mandatory because I use a different layout and
> master/slave size when I browse the web for fun, a different for code
> editing plus log tailing plus browser with docs, a different one to
> run apps like dia, etc.
>
> Any implementation hint will be welcomed 'cause actual version is just
> a proof of concept.
>
> cheers,
> --
> Julián

perhaps in this case it would be applicable to have both concepts: tags and views.
so you would have shortcuts to select a different view (or known as workspace), and a view would perhaps remember the layout and the selected tags.

perhaps one should further think about this.

at the moment one could imagine that tiledmode and floatmode are different views that don't remember the selected tags, so why not use more userdefined modes/views.

however in some cases it could be sufficient to define shortcuts to select tags and layout, so there were no need to remember (as you implemented it) the layout and master size. in your case, something like:
  alt+1 row, 60%, tag "dev"
  alt+2 col, 50%, tag "net"

and still you can use toggle tag... and it is less randomly what layout is kept.

enough for my first misunderstanding dwm newsletter... ;-)

bye
 Philipp