Re: [dwm] how to detect activity in non-visible tags

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 14:11:27 +0200

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 01:30:44PM +0200, Julian Romero wrote:
> I usually have gaim tagged with a specific tag plus a rule to put it
> in the float layer.
> 80% of the time it's in an invisible tag.
>
> How can I detect that a new client window shows up in this invisible
> tag? The idea is to detect the change and notify it in the status bar.
>
> It seems applications like gaim uses the URGENT hint in such cases.
>
> Any plan to do somethin with this hint? Are there any 3rd party
> software to detect this in a shell script or something?
>
> IM it's not the only situation I've found this issue (but is the
> shorter to explain)
>
> I guess I can add some rule to send this new popup windows to all
> tags, but I don't want windows showing up in my face, just a small
> message in my status bar.

Such (borken?) apps should provide a _sane_ interface to
announce notifications about arbitrary things. I don't see that
the WM can assist here, at least because there are plenty ways
apps could request attention from the user. That's why I
recommend using apps which provide a sane interface (like music
players which supply remote control capabilities).

If gaim does not provide such things, I'd consider using
something better.

Regards,