Re: [dwm] how to detect activity in non-visible tags

From: Julian Romero <julian.romero+dwm_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 14:31:05 +0200

On 8/23/06, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 01:30:44PM +0200, Julian Romero wrote:
> > I usually have gaim tagged with a specific tag plus a rule to put it
> > in the float layer.
> > 80% of the time it's in an invisible tag.
> >
> > How can I detect that a new client window shows up in this invisible
> > tag? The idea is to detect the change and notify it in the status bar.
> Such (borken?) apps should provide a _sane_ interface to
> announce notifications about arbitrary things. I don't see that
> the WM can assist here, at least because there are plenty ways
> apps could request attention from the user. That's why I
> recommend using apps which provide a sane interface (like music
> players which supply remote control capabilities).

I agree with you. But sadly I don't know a better IM client. Yes, I
used bitlbee, but from time to time I want to relax and just use a
graphical UI with lot of icons ;)

Apart from gaim being broke and me being lazy to investigate the
insides of gaim plugins to get notified, I think detecting new windows
showing up without being (directly) requested is WM business. For the
main dwm? probably no. I only ask for opinion (and help) to people
more expert in X and WM than me.

Another example: Google Calendar alerts, they appears as javascript
alerts. I won't leave firefox or google even if they are broken...and
wouldn't be cool to have a text in the status bar notifying about next
meeting?

saludos,

--
Julián