Re: [dwm] placement of tags on titles

From: Julian Romero <julian.romero+dwm_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:10:47 +0200

On 8/24/06, Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/24/06, Julian Romero <julian.romero+dwm_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> > > To me, part of minimalism is keeping the amount
> > > of stuff that you can/have to configure small,
> > Elegance also matters, and having different colors for different
> > things is more elegant that excesive saving/reusing.
>
> I beg to differ: I definitally agree that elegance matters, but I
> believe that a having a bunch of color-this, color-that, color-such,
> color-so, color-here, color-there, color-blabla defines is far less
> elegant than the current situation. There isn't excesive reusing,
> there is sane reusing. This is supposed to be a functional wm, not
> some flashy bling-bling thing.

Flashy?
I'm not proposing adding horizontal blinking auto-scrolling for long
text status messages.
Are you also in the Gnome list and answered the wrong message? ;)

If we move our conflictive #define's to dwm.h we'll be talking about
good programming practices, not about configurability anymore.

Active window title is hard to read.
Current focused window is hard to notice.
Top-right unfocused window's title mix (visually) with status.
Not allowing columns vs. rows layout is arbitrary.
etc.

All this can be solved adding a few (very few) #defines in some .h
plus some code refactoring. As a side effect the code will allow
faster configuration and will be more self-documented.

un saludo,

--
Julián