Re: [dwm] remembering client order in each tag

From: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 19:58:11 +0200

On 9/5/06, Anthony Brown <agabrown_AT_xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The following behaviour I find a bit annoying and I wonder if it's
> straightforward to fix. When I am looking at clients with a certain tag
> (a) in floating mode, and there are overlapping clients, I use modkey-tab
> to get the client on top that I want to see. Then if I switch to a set
> of in clients with a different tag (b) and switch the back to tag (a)
> the ordering of the clients is not preserved in (b) (i.e. the client
> that I cycled to the top is no longer there). It seems that the order of
> the clients is always the one in which they were "created"?

One important thing to note here is that tags != workspaces. Client
ordering is not preserved "per tag", because tags do not represent
different workspaces. There's just one workspace, and it has all
existing windows in it. By putting certain (possibly multiple) tags on
a window, and selecting one or more tags for viewing, you can
manipulate what is currently visible in that workspace. That does
_not_ mean however that there's more than one workspace; for instance,
a floating client with multiple tags, will have the same size and
position in all views that it is part of. That may seem odd when
you're still thinking in terms of workspaces, but it actually makes
sense once you grasp the tag methaphor.

So preserving z-ordering "per tag" (and all tag combinations, since
you can view multiple tags at once) is a nono. However, preserving
z-ordering globally should be possible (and I believe that would lead
to the behavior you want too by the way), and might be a good idea.
I'm not sure what the efficient way of doing that would be though
(you'd probably end up fiddling around with either the order of the
clients list or with c->weight a lot)...

Greetings, Sander.