Re: [dwm] remembering client order in each tag

From: Anthony Brown <agabrown_AT_xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 20:41:00 +0200

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 07:58:11PM +0200, Sander van Dijk wrote:
> On 9/5/06, Anthony Brown <agabrown_AT_xs4all.nl> wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >The following behaviour I find a bit annoying and I wonder if it's
> >straightforward to fix. When I am looking at clients with a certain tag
> >(a) in floating mode, and there are overlapping clients, I use modkey-tab
> >to get the client on top that I want to see. Then if I switch to a set
> >of in clients with a different tag (b) and switch the back to tag (a)
> >the ordering of the clients is not preserved in (b) (i.e. the client
> >that I cycled to the top is no longer there). It seems that the order of
> >the clients is always the one in which they were "created"?
>
> One important thing to note here is that tags != workspaces. Client
> ordering is not preserved "per tag", because tags do not represent
> different workspaces. There's just one workspace, and it has all
> existing windows in it. By putting certain (possibly multiple) tags on
> a window, and selecting one or more tags for viewing, you can
> manipulate what is currently visible in that workspace. That does
> _not_ mean however that there's more than one workspace; for instance,
> a floating client with multiple tags, will have the same size and
> position in all views that it is part of. That may seem odd when
> you're still thinking in terms of workspaces, but it actually makes
> sense once you grasp the tag methaphor.
>
> So preserving z-ordering "per tag" (and all tag combinations, since
> you can view multiple tags at once) is a nono. However, preserving
> z-ordering globally should be possible (and I believe that would lead
> to the behavior you want too by the way), and might be a good idea.
> I'm not sure what the efficient way of doing that would be though
> (you'd probably end up fiddling around with either the order of the
> clients list or with c->weight a lot)...

Indeed I tend to use the tags as work-spaces. Preserving the global
order would be fine because that is what I would want anyway. However,
its not clear to me what would happen to the order of clients when
viewing multiple tags and then switching back to a single tag. On the
other hand this may be less of a problem because one would probably
change the order when viewing multiple tags in floating mode anyway.

regards,
Anthony